POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Distributing patch objects : Re: Distributing patch objects Server Time
31 Jul 2024 12:18:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Distributing patch objects
From: Ben Chambers
Date: 14 Feb 2007 16:27:08
Message: <45d37eac$1@news.povray.org>
Well, I've reduced it as much as possible.  Render times are 30s for the
unclipped version, and 50s for the clipped version on a test scene.
Doesn't seem too bad, until you realize that generating the mesh during
the parse takes 20s on its own, the so render times now seem to be 10s
and 30s.  A 3x slowdown seems quite abnormal to me.

However, in examining the test I was doing, it is entirely possible that
the clipped version is simply rendering more detail (since it shows
grass up to the border), and that is the cause for the slowdown.  I
suppose this would be minimized when there's a greater area which does
not intersect the border, so I'll test with that.

I'll post my scene and include file (note that the include file has a
limited texture applied, for the actual scene I'm working on I use a
more varied texture) in p.b.scene-files, as well as two sample shots in
p.b.images.

...Chambers