POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Need help on final gathering : Re: Need help on final gathering Server Time
6 Oct 2024 13:03:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Need help on final gathering
From: Tim Attwood
Date: 13 Feb 2007 22:41:30
Message: <45d284ea$1@news.povray.org>
> I want to achieve the following, I want to render a GI solution with final
> gathering for a scene, but what I want to do to improve the FG solution is
> to:

In general, for a single fixed image in POV-ray it isn't necessary to
separately gather radiosity information. Some good radiosity settings
are ...

radiosity {
   brightness 3
   count 100
   error_bound 0.15
   gray_threshold 0.0
   low_error_factor 0.2
   minimum_reuse 0.015
   nearest_count 10
   recursion_limit 5
   adc_bailout 0.01
   max_sample 0.5
   media on
   normal off
   always_sample 1
   pretrace_start 0.08
   pretrace_end 0.01
}

> I want to move the camera on a circle at a certain height around and
> gather
> the FG for each camera position.
> How do I achieve this best?

The improvement in such a setup is extremely small, but it's possible to
use a multi-frame animation and save_file and load_file to develop better
radiosity data. Then just save in the first frame, load and save in the
remaining pre-radiosity frames, and use always_sample_off in any
final output frames to keep the radiosity data from changing between
frames. The data is collected from the camera's location, move the camera
around in a circle.