POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Antialias problem with PP_Find_Edges (Toon-shader) : Re: Antialias problem with PP_Find_Edges (Toon-shader) Server Time
29 Apr 2024 12:07:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Antialias problem with PP_Find_Edges (Toon-shader)
From: Thibaut Jonckheere
Date: 12 Feb 2007 06:17:54
Message: <45d04ce2$1@news.povray.org>

> Hi,
> I try to achieve a non-photorealistic render like it can be done with Toon
> Shaders, the problem is the aliased result obtained with the function:
> PP_Find_Edges. I can't adjust the paramenters in order to improve the
> result.
> There is a way to get better results?

I had the same problem when I tried PP_Find_Edges. I think the only real
solution is to render a (much) larger image, and then to scale it down.
But as find_edges is rather slow, I found this rather unpractical.

A recent thread on various methods one can use to get edges is there:
http://news.povray.org/povray.general/thread/%3C448ebdc1%40news.povray.org%3E/?mtop=9

For the kind of picture you're interested in, using a "edge find" filter
of a graphical program (The Gimp, Corel Photopaint, etc...) could also
be a very efficient method (see
http://www.lightning-generator.org/newsgroup.php?id=84&group=povray.images&first=1&last=25#84

if you understand French)

Thibaut