POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Bug (or feature to design around when animating). : Re: Bug (or feature to design around when animating). Server Time
31 Jul 2024 18:25:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bug (or feature to design around when animating).
From: Alain
Date: 11 Feb 2007 08:50:55
Message: <45cf1f3f$1@news.povray.org>
Charles C nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 11-02-2007 01:29:
> "Tom York" <alp### [at] zubenelgenubi34spcom> wrote:
>> Alain <ele### [at] netscapenet> wrote:
>>> How many objects in the first set of frames? Is it less than the bounding
threshold?
>>> If the answer the second question is YES, then there will be NO bounding at all
>>> for the entire animation.
>>> A solution: add 1 or 2 dumy objects, like small sphere with no_image, no_shadow
>>> and no_reflection or objects placed off field: behind the camera or
>>> behind/inside some opaque object.
>>> Others have been hit with that problem in animation with a growing number of
>>> objects: 0 to 2 objects in the first frame and eventualy 1000s in subsequent
frames.
>> Couldn't the +MB option help here? Can you not set it to +MB5 or less (I
>> think the default is 25 objects)? No dummy objects would be needed in that
>> case.

>> Tom

> Running into the same issue as mentioned, today I tried adding +MB, +MB0,
> and Bounding=on to an animation ini file.  None of it helped in my case.
> What did work was using those dummy objects... Mind you, a single tiny
> invisible sphere didn't have any affect unless using +MB0 or +MB1, but a
> ring of ten tiny invisible spheres did work with the default.  Some quick
> testing it seems that the default threshold is (for 3.6.0 anyway) 10, not
> 25 as indicated in the docs.  Can anybody verify that for 3.6.1?  Anyway,
> Woohoo!  Rendering fast again!
> Charles

What you need is to add Bounding_Threshold = 1 or even 0 to your ini file. The
default is set to 3 in the file povray.ini.
+bm2 is used to turn on binary tree bounding, instead of using the bounding box
method. This flag don't work in version older than the 3.7 beta.
So, you need 1 dummy if the first scene have 2 finite objects, 2 dummy if you
have 1 finite object and 3 dummy if you only have infinite objects and no finite
ones.

--
Alain
EVERYTHING HAS A GENDER

You may not know this but many nonliving things have a gender...

An Hourglass is Female, because over time, the weight shifts to the bottom.