POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Heightfield tutorial : Re: Heightfield tutorial Server Time
31 Jul 2024 12:23:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Heightfield tutorial
From: Jim Charter
Date: 10 Feb 2007 18:24:34
Message: <45ce5432$1@news.povray.org>
FrogRay wrote:
> Hi Warp,
> Thanks for your suggestions.
> I don't mind you being blunt because you have obviously taken the time to
> read my tutorial thoroughly.  When most people come across a not-that-good
> tutorial they simply ignore it, giving the author no chance to improve.
> It's good to know which points are confusing because everything makes sense
> to the person who writes it.
> You've given me lots of ideas to work on so I'll be busy for a while.
> Thanks again for taking the time to write.

It is definitely not an easy thing.

My wife is taking an online course in basic HTML. Simple?  Try
explaining it to someone who doesn't have even the conceptual framework
to understand the Windows folders metaphor.  My wife found herself
flailing helplessly on the first "Hello World" lesson until I threw her
a life line, (metaphorically speaking.)  Of course the
intructor/composer of the course studded his lesson with frequent
incantations and admonishments to "Follow the instructions EXACTLY."
But what that really means is: "Follow the instructions EXACTLY, except
for when they are not very EXACT."

Kudos for you for taking Warp's critique to heart, and kudos to Warp, as
you said, for taking the time.