POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Wide-screen orthographic camera? : Re: Wide-screen orthographic camera? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 12:16:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Wide-screen orthographic camera?
From: Warp
Date: 6 Feb 2007 14:40:47
Message: <45c8d9be@news.povray.org>
Steve Webb <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> I'm trying to make a camera that'll make an orthographic (top-down, no
> perspective) rendering of some objects that I can use as a background on my
> desktop.  I want the image to not be stretched in any dimension and have
> each pixel represent each pixel on the desktop, so if my desktop is
> 1280x1024, then I want a scene with a large box that's 1280x1024 to fill up
> exactly every pixel in the resulting image which will be exactly 1280x1024.

  Assuming that the aspect ratio of your monitor is 4:3, then just use the
default camera settings and render using the 1280x1024 resolution.

> * orthographic camera projection still changes the scale of the whole image
> depending on the distance of my camera from the objects (is this even
> correct - with parallel projection, should the location of the camera make
> any difference with regards to scale at all)?

  You are doing something else than just changing the distance between
the camera and the objects.

> I figured out changing the aspect ratio, but with parallel projection,
> shouldn't a 1280x1024 image have a scene that's 1280x1024 "units" in
> resolution?

  No, why should it? A parallel projection just means that the rays sent
from the camera are parallel. It doesn't say anything about what is the
size of the projection window.

--
                                                          - Warp