POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Accuracy of sunpos.inc for Prehistoric Dates : Re: Accuracy of sunpos.inc for Prehistoric Dates Server Time
31 Jul 2024 12:22:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Accuracy of sunpos.inc for Prehistoric Dates
From: Warp
Date: 4 Feb 2007 09:36:56
Message: <45c5ef88@news.povray.org>
Nicolas George <nicolas$george@salle-s.org> wrote:
> I believe there is little hope to have accurate data about the position of
> the Earth beyond a couple of centuries.

  I think that mathematical interpolation of the movements of the Earth
should give pretty accurate values for tens of thousands of years.
  The problem with current calendars is that they are linear while the
rotation of the Earth is not constant (which would require a non-linear
calendar system). Linear calendars are acceptably accurate for only a
few thousand years. If you want a calendar which is accurate to a fraction
of a second for tens of thousands of years, you have to use a non-linear
timeline (because of the slowdown of the Earth).

--
                                                          - Warp