POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Any way to reduce povray memory usage? : Re: Any way to reduce povray memory usage? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 12:23:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Any way to reduce povray memory usage?
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 2 Feb 2007 19:06:32
Message: <45c3d208$1@news.povray.org>
quickfur wrote:
> I'm making a fractal object built from spheres and cones, and my
> laptop (500MB RAM) is unable to handle anything more than 5
> levels of recursion. Is there any way of reducing the amount of
> memory povray uses to construct the object?

Sphere and cones are already as small as they can get. The most successful
approach when dealing with recursive structures is to not create objects
that won't be visible.

> Is there any way to control POV's resource usage patterns

You already are in control: Create fewer objects. POV-Ray can hardly do
anything about objects you create. It cannot ignore them for obvious
reasons. Thus, they need to be stored somewhere in memory.

	Thorsten