POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Which code evaluate Math functions (ie: isosurfaces) ? : Re: Which code evaluate Math functions (ie: isosurfaces) ? Server Time
9 May 2024 04:31:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Which code evaluate Math functions (ie: isosurfaces) ?
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 1 Feb 2007 03:45:27
Message: <45c1a8a7$1@news.povray.org>
virtualmeet schrieb:
> Hi Warp,
> In K3DSurf, I'm using mainly three steps to draw Isosurfaces:
> 1) Grid initialisation:
> Preparing the Grid: the grid is a 3D matrix that holds values obtained from
> parsing the Isosurface math formula. This process can be simplified to that
> code :
> [...]
>
> The steps 2 and 3 are now extremely fast in K3DSurf: This part of code is
> able to treat
> (as Thorsten said) millions of triangles in less than a second.
> [...]

You should most of all keep in mind one thing:  The point about the
POV-Ray isosurface is to avoid heavy precalculations and data storage.
And as has been explained here grid or mesh based isosurface rendering
requires both and furthermore has the principal limitation of a fixed
resolution which is usually a huge disadvantage for perspective views.

Note you can speed up isosurface renders using precalculations as
outlined on:

http://www.imagico.de/fast_iso/patch.html

but also note although this technique uses trees to store the
precalculated function values it is still quite heavy concerning time
and memory use although it only reduces the computations for the
intersection test and does not do the actual intersection computation.

-- Christoph