POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Glow effect problem : Re: Glow effect problem Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:30:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Glow effect problem
From: Alain
Date: 31 Jan 2007 17:31:40
Message: <45c118cc$1@news.povray.org>
Mike8 nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 30-01-2007 12:50:
> "Tim Attwood" <tim### [at] comcastnet> wrote:
>> You can use looks_like to make a light have a visible object there.
>> Then use a media glow in that object. It's important to remember
>> that an object needs to be hollow to contain a visible media.
>>
>> //example
>> light_source {
>>   <0, 0, 0>
>>   color rgb <1, 1, 1>
>>   looks_like {
>>      sphere{<0,0,0>,1
>>         hollow
>>         material {
>>            texture {
>>               pigment {Clear}
>>            }
>>            interior {
>>               media{
>>                  emission 0.75
>>                  scattering {1, 0.5}
>>                  density {
>>                     spherical
>>                     color_map {
>>                        [0.0 rgb <0,0,0.5>]
>>                        [0.5 rgb <0.8, 0.8, 0.4>]
>>                        [1.0 rgb <1,1,1>]
>>                     }
>>                  }
>>               }
>>            }
>>         }
>>      }
>>   }
>> }
> Thanks, the code works well, but I've hit another problem. My light source
> is already contained in a translucent object, like a lightbulb.
> Unfortunately, it seems to be blocking the glow effect. Is there a way to
> correct this, without making the lightbulb invisible? Thanks.
Just make the lightbulb hollow, that way, it will be filled by the media.
You can also surround it with a somewhat larger, totaly transparent object, that
will contain the media.
> Also, is it possible to add the same kind of glow effect to objects other
> than light sources?
Absolutely!
Just place another, larger transparent hollow object around it. Fill that shell
with some emissive media.
> I hope I'm not asking to many questions. Thanks for everyone's input!
> Michael

By adding those transparent objects, you may get some dark spots. That appens
when you reatch the max_trace_level. Just set it to a larger value in the
global_settings block, the default value is 5.

--
Alain
No matter how much you do, you never do enough.