POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Glow effect problem : Re: Glow effect problem Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:32:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Glow effect problem
From: Tim Attwood
Date: 31 Jan 2007 01:26:03
Message: <45c0367b$1@news.povray.org>
> Thanks, the code works well, but I've hit another problem. My light source
> is already contained in a translucent object, like a lightbulb.
> Unfortunately, it seems to be blocking the glow effect. Is there a way to
> correct this, without making the lightbulb invisible? Thanks.

Media effects can't exist inside of a non-hollow object... so you
can just add the hollow keyword to your lightbulb object , or you
could difference out the insides.

object {LightBulb hollow ...}

or

global_settings {
   assumed_gamma 2.2
   max_trace_level 10
}

#declare glow = material {...};
#declare glass = material {
   texture {
      pigment {Clear}
      finish { phong 0.3
               reflection 0.3}
   }
   interior {ior 1.3}
};
#declare LightBulb = difference {
   sphere{<0,0,0>,1}
   sphere{<0,0,0>,0.99}
};
object{LightBulb material{glass}}

> Also, is it possible to add the same kind of glow effect to objects other
> than light sources?

You can use a media inside any hollow translucent object,
there doesn't need to be a light involved.

light_source {  <0, 0, 0>
  color rgb <1, 1, 1>
}
sphere {<0,0,0>,0.989 hollow material{glow}}

or

light_source {
  <0, 0, 0>
  color rgb <1, 1, 1>
  looks_like {
     sphere {<0,0,0>,0.989 hollow material{glow}}
 }
}

The looks_like removes the interaction of the light
and the media though, so if you don't use it the
light will be attenuated by the media.

You can also use a media statement alone, then it is
applied to the whole scene, (except inside non-hollow
objects), that's good for a hazy look but can be
somewhat slow.