POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : For the wishlist... : Re: For the wishlist... Server Time
3 May 2024 09:51:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: For the wishlist...
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 25 Jan 2007 04:08:28
Message: <45b8738c$1@news.povray.org>
"Lutz Kretzschmar" <lut### [at] stmuccom> schreef in bericht
> I am sure that I have never heard of there being rendering problems
> related to POV-Ray parsing an exported scene.
>
> I have heard (and reproduced the behaviour) that Moray V3.5 and
> POV-Ray V3.6 (and later) cause the rendering to hang sporadically (or
> more often :-)). I even tried to find the cause some time ago,
> unfortunately, I was unsuccessful, probably due to the Heisenberg
> Uncertainty Principle :-). As soon as I added tracing, I could not get
> it to hang. This most likely means some kind of threading issue or
> race condition is happening. Maybe POV-Ray 3.6 uses multiple threads
> in a different way than earlier versions.

The problem seems to be in the communication between Moray and POV-Ray 3.6.
As you say, I remember that very early on you did try to solve the problem
but could not find the glitch.
Maybe it would be valuable to make again a list of the specific problems
happening. I wonder now if everybody who has met with some problem, have met
with the same ones?

As mentioned in a thread above, my main problem is with the render of a
material preview. Both Moray and POV-Ray freeze, with message "An unexpected
error occurred while trying to make POV-Ray render the material. (code 3)".

This behaviour is... not consequent :-(
I have now also have the case where a (simple) material is rendered the
first time, but next is not, POV-Ray telling me that "A render has completed
but file output was turned off. No file was written. Press F1 for help on
output file control.". After clicking OK, * something*  finishes. However,
if I try to render the material again, Moray closes down abruptly and
Windows asks me if I want to register a bug.

So far, what I have met with now....

Thomas