POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.stills : "Pseudo IRTC" topic suggestions wanted! : Re: "Pseudo IRTC" topic suggestions wanted! Server Time
3 May 2024 21:53:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: "Pseudo IRTC" topic suggestions wanted!
From: Jim Charter
Date: 24 Jan 2007 15:24:42
Message: <45b7c08a$1@news.povray.org>
Bruno Cabasson wrote:
> Seconding Verm's "primitive", I suggest to use only basic shapes such as
> spheres, cylinders, cones, toruses .. no isosurface, no mesh, no blob
> ....Just to see what is possible and encouraging more imagination than pure
> technique.

As much as I find this constant "return to the mathematical primitive"
thing annoying, I see how it could work in this circumstance.  It's
quick and dirty, there is a sense of return to the IRTC roots, the
restriction of means almost always results in a kind of inventiveness
even if not great expression, (but there is not enough time for grand
scenes right now anyway), and it would throw some emphasis back onto
texturing and lighting as skills.

Verm's original suggestion struck me as meaning the artist must pick and
use just one of the primitives.  Perhaps that could be a constraint?
Pick any primitive you want, but it's the only one you get.  Also there
should be a definitive list of what's allowed and what is not.

> Another from myself: "The other side".

Not bad.