POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Are layered textures reallly slow renderers? : Re: Are layered textures reallly slow renderers? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:27:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Are layered textures reallly slow renderers?
From: Warp
Date: 21 Jan 2007 10:13:35
Message: <45b3831e@news.povray.org>
Alain <ele### [at] netscapenet> wrote:
> Layered textures are slower than simple oned as each layer have to be evaluated
> (but only if behind a transparent part of the preceding one(s)). So, yess,
> layered textures do slow you down

  If I'm not completely mistaken, each individual texture in a layered
texture is evaluated fully (in the same way as in an average texture map).
This means that, for example, if you have 10 textures layered, each one
reflective, 10 reflection rays will be shot for each evaluation of the
layered texture.

  If you have this situation, try turning off reflections for the textures
which really don't need them.

--
                                                          - Warp