POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Memory.log : Re: PoV using private functions from libpng Server Time
31 Jul 2024 20:22:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: PoV using private functions from libpng
From: Nicolas George
Date: 21 Jan 2007 09:55:11
Message: <45b37ecf$1@news.povray.org>
Thorsten Froehlich  wrote in message <45b37458@news.povray.org>:
> Considering that one of the authors of the PNG library was also the author
> of the PNG support in POV-Ray, your argument has neither head nor tail. Sorry.

Well, that explains how he knew of this undocumented function in the first
place. But I do not buy arguments of authority.

Functionally, PoV has no more ties to libpng than GdkPixbuf or dvipng. So
there is two cases:

- either png_write_finish_row is a legitimate function to use in a client
  program, and it should have been made public;

- or it is indeed private, and it should no more have been used in PoV than
  in any other client program.

Obviously, the libpng team has decided in favor of the second solution.