POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Re: PNG output much brighter than preview... : Re: PNG output much brighter than preview... Server Time
31 Jul 2024 20:15:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: PNG output much brighter than preview...
From: Warp
Date: 21 Jan 2007 07:49:16
Message: <45b3614b@news.povray.org>
Eero Ahonen <aer### [at] removethiszbxtnetinvalid> wrote:
> > The browser would have to apply the same
> > gamma correction to the other elements in the page too

> No. In Perfect Web(tm) the browser should apply the gamma correction
> specified in page source for the rest of the page and a object-related
> gamma correction for objects which have one.

  I think that in a perfect world source colors (such as image pixels
and CSS color definitions) would use a universal standard of being
absolutely linear, and then it's the OS which gamma-corrects everthing
if needed.

  I think that the idea that people generate images so that they look
good on their monitor and then are supposed to put some "gamma info" in
it so that other people looking it with different monitors may use
proper corrections is exactly as stupid as someone posting ascii art
to a newsgroup using a variable-width font and then just putting a
note at the beginning saying "you should use this font to see this ascii
art properly". While it may work, it's cumbersome and stupid.

  The better idea for images is that the image creation program converts
it to the universal linear representation and then every system can just
assume that the input is linear and do the necessary conversions to make
it also look linear in the monitor.

  And if 8 bits is a concern, then use 16 bits.

--
                                                          - Warp