POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Memory.log : PoV using private functions from libpng (was: Memory.log) Server Time
31 Jul 2024 20:19:49 EDT (-0400)
  PoV using private functions from libpng (was: Memory.log)
From: Nicolas George
Date: 21 Jan 2007 05:04:45
Message: <45b33abd$1@news.povray.org>
Thorsten Froehlich  wrote in message <45b094e7$1@news.povray.org>:
> And I might add, the functions were neither of what you claim.

Well well well, let us see.

Would you care to take a look at your own tarball, the file
povray-3.6.1/libraries/png/pngwutil.c, near the line 1717? I can see there:

/* Internal use only.  Called when finished processing a row of data. */
void /* PRIVATE */
png_write_finish_row(png_structp png_ptr)
{

And I can see that the "internal use only" was there since the 1.0.0 release
at least.

So I grant you: I was wrong telling that PoV uses an obsolete function: it
uses a function that it should _never_ have used.

>								 Plus, it only
> happened when building with libraries other than the ones included with
> POV-Ray anyway.

Except that the build system with use the system libpng if it is recent
enough.

Well, sometimes, two bugs correct each other: PoV's ./configure uses strcmp
to compare version numbers, and therefore thinks that 1.2.15 is older than
1.2.5.

>		  As POV-ray includes the correct library versions, it is a
> non-issue.

Statically linking with an older, possibly buggy, version of a library is
hardly a good solution.

>	     BTW, you spreading FUD in this thread really is inappropriate :-(

I was not spreading FUD: I was genuinely glad I would be able to build PoV
without making knots to my brain. It appears that was a misunderstanding,
and the problem is still there. Too bad.