POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : RGB color Index : Re: RGB color Index Server Time
31 Jul 2024 14:20:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: RGB color Index
From: "Jérôme M. Berger"
Date: 21 Jan 2007 04:12:11
Message: <45b32e6b@news.povray.org>

Alain wrote:

>>> Hi Alan,
>>> I dont get your idea clearly. Please if you have any sample file give
>>> me.
>>> The problem is, I put more than 1000 RGB color data in POV file. Is
>>> there a
>>> way to automatically generate a long box which shows color and its
>>> corresponding value. Pls give your suggestion as soon as possilble.
>>>
>>> Thanks a lot........
>>>
>>> I hope other people misunderstood my question. I am sorry if I made
>>> you all
>>> in wrong direction.
>>>
>>     If I understand you correctly, you have some software external to
>> povray. This software generates a data set and assigns *itself*
>> different colors to different points in the dataset. What you want
>> to do is to create a scale with the same colors.
>>
>>     If that is the case, I see two solutions:
>>  - If you can, have your software input a value between 0 and 1
>> instead of outputting colors. It should then be possible to use a
>> color_map to colorize your output. To create a scale, you would then
>> create a box with a gradient texture using the same color_map;
>>
>>  - Or (but this is *much* more difficult to get right), you can
>> create several boxes (you will need eight if you have 1000
>> individual colors to put on your scale). Then assign them a gradient
>> texture with this kind of color_map (adjust the values as needed):
>> color_map {
>>     [ 1 / 128 Color1 ]
>>     [ 1 / 128 Color2 ]
>>     [ 2 / 128 Color2 ]
>>     [ 2 / 128 Color3 ]
>>     [ 3 / 128 Color3 ]
>> }
>> (Note that each color and each value except the first and last color
>> are given twice, and that they are never increased together).
>> However, you should *really* look into the other solution first.
>>
>>         Jerome
>>
>> PS: Doc on the color_map keyword:
>> http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.1/335/
>>
> This just can't work in this case. You are limited to 256 entries,
> total, in your color_map, texture_map, normal_map or material_map.

	That's why I said he needed *eight* boxes.

> What you need is only a few, evenly spaced, samples of the colors used,
> place them in a color_map WITHOUT any repeat values, then use that in a
> gradient pattern scaled to the lenght of the bar.

	This won't work if he can't control the colors taken by the data
and if he needs an accurate scale bar. However, you'll notice that
it is the first solution I suggested and the one I recommended he
look into first.

		Jerome
- --
|    mailto:jeb### [at] freefr      | ICQ:    238062172            |
|    http://jeberger.free.fr/     | Jabber: jeb### [at] jabberfr   |