POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : RGB color Index : Re: RGB color Index Server Time
31 Jul 2024 14:29:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: RGB color Index
From: "Jérôme M. Berger"
Date: 20 Jan 2007 14:51:40
Message: <45b272cc$1@news.povray.org>

sitha wrote:
>> You can have a small, long box coloured by an apropriate gradient in a corner or
>> along an edge of your image.
>> Use some text objects to mark the reference points and units.
>> Tick marks can be done using tiny box or cylinders.
>> Try using the screen.inc to get the tools to help you place it correctly.
>> There is a sample scene that show a possible use of that include.
>>
>> --
>> Alain
>> Stay out of my head, its a bad neighborhood.
>
> Hi Alan,
> I dont get your idea clearly. Please if you have any sample file give me.
> The problem is, I put more than 1000 RGB color data in POV file. Is there a
> way to automatically generate a long box which shows color and its
> corresponding value. Pls give your suggestion as soon as possilble.
>
> Thanks a lot........
>
> I hope other people misunderstood my question. I am sorry if I made you all
> in wrong direction.

	If I understand you correctly, you have some software external to
povray. This software generates a data set and assigns *itself*
different colors to different points in the dataset. What you want
to do is to create a scale with the same colors.

	If that is the case, I see two solutions:
 - If you can, have your software input a value between 0 and 1
instead of outputting colors. It should then be possible to use a
color_map to colorize your output. To create a scale, you would then
create a box with a gradient texture using the same color_map;

 - Or (but this is *much* more difficult to get right), you can
create several boxes (you will need eight if you have 1000
individual colors to put on your scale). Then assign them a gradient
texture with this kind of color_map (adjust the values as needed):
color_map {
    [ 1 / 128 Color1 ]
    [ 1 / 128 Color2 ]
    [ 2 / 128 Color2 ]
    [ 2 / 128 Color3 ]
    [ 3 / 128 Color3 ]
}
(Note that each color and each value except the first and last color
are given twice, and that they are never increased together).
However, you should *really* look into the other solution first.

		Jerome

PS: Doc on the color_map keyword:
http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.1/335/
- --
|    mailto:jeb### [at] freefr      | ICQ:    238062172            |
|    http://jeberger.free.fr/     | Jabber: jeb### [at] jabberfr   |