POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Re: PNG output much brighter than preview... : Re: PNG output much brighter than preview... Server Time
31 Jul 2024 20:25:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: PNG output much brighter than preview...
From: Eero Ahonen
Date: 20 Jan 2007 08:07:08
Message: <45b213fc$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:

>   Transparency may not always be the answer. Sometimes you may want to
> use color fadings which are not possible to achieve with the alpha channel.

Might be right, but what kind of fadings are not possible with alpha
channel?

>   A jpeg takes more space if the image is simple and uses just a few
> colors. (Ok, you *can* make it take less space, but then the image will
> look like crap.)

Yes. Usually for the images on the web JPEG is smaller than PNG.

Yes, there's also JPEG-crapped images in the web, which should be in
some other (lossless) format.

>> ...it's still specsed, so every program should follow the rule. The
>> final colors would vary less.
>
>   Even if all browsers followed the PNG recommendations to the letter,
> you still couldn't be sure to get matching colors between the PNG and
> other elements in the page.

You should be able to inform the browser the gamma used making the page.
I think *ML is lacking this feature, please correct me if I'm wrong.

> The browser would have to apply the same
> gamma correction to the other elements in the page too

No. In Perfect Web(tm) the browser should apply the gamma correction
specified in page source for the rest of the page and a object-related
gamma correction for objects which have one.

> (which, if it
> did that, would probably just cause more problems instead of solving
> any).

Indeed.

>   Of course funny things may happen if there are two PNGs in the wegpage
> with *different* gamma info. (IOW, what should be done to the other
> elements in the page?)

As I said, use the default gamma correction of the page.

>>> What is worse, if there *is* gamma info, some programs will read it, others won't.

>> This certainly is no PNG standardization group's fault, some programs
>> just act wrong.
>
>   Right, but think about image formats which do not support any gamma info.
> No gamma-related problems appear there.

Nobody thinks they are gamma-related (well, some do), but the problems
of difference still remain. You know "this works for me" -syndrome in
the clothes of "this images views just right and is readable in *my*
system".

--
Eero "Aero" Ahonen
   http://www.zbxt.net