POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray Object Collection - Next : Re: POV-Ray Object Collection - Next Server Time
31 Jul 2024 14:28:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray Object Collection - Next
From: Chris B
Date: 19 Jan 2007 14:06:22
Message: <45b116ae$1@news.povray.org>
"Greg M. Johnson" <pte### [at] thecommononethatstartswithYcom> wrote in
message news:45b0d34f@news.povray.org...
> Would everything be presumed public domain,  or Creative Commons
> Attribution
> license, or will you provide a filter for non-free objects (someone
> mentioned tagging)?

Hi Greg,

When people submit things they'll need to accept that their work will be
distributed under the license covering the collection, in perpetuity, even
if that license changes in the future.

When the collection kicks-off, we'll use the CC-LGPL which allows royalty
free re-use, modification and re-distribution.
The license may change in the future if a more appropriate license becomes
available. If it does change, then anyone who downloads work under the
CC-LGPL will be able to choose whether to continue with that or move to the
new license.

There was a discussion about having a tag for objects not distributed under
the same license, but this would mean that users would have to keep track of
multiple licenses once they've downloaded objects. It was concluded that
there are plenty of other places where anyone not wishing to contribute
under the terms of the common license could post their work.

Regards,
Chris B.