POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Re: PNG output much brighter than preview... : Re: PNG output much brighter than preview... Server Time
31 Jul 2024 14:26:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: PNG output much brighter than preview...
From: Daniel Nilsson
Date: 18 Jan 2007 11:54:02
Message: <45afa62a@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> Ive <ive### [at] lilysoftcom> wrote:
>> Final note: I think there is no "gamma problem" at all - just the usual
>> problem that people do not really know what they are doing.
>
>   You can't deny the fact that PNG is the *only* format which has
> caused people problem in relation to POV-Ray, and the problems are
> always related to the gamma correction data embedded in the PNG.
>
>   This, of course, raises the question of why other formats haven't
> caused such problems.

I'm sure there are comments to images in p.b.i of the type "It looks
very dark" or "The colors are a bit washed out", even though it looks
good on the authors computer.
What do you call these if not gamma problems?
There are, obviously, problems both ways. I've already stated how it
IMHO should be solved. To make povray not write the gamma info is a
workaround and not a solution. I have nothing against such an option as
long as it's not the default.

PS. I meant to post a reply earlier but Christoph and scott already said
pretty much exactly what I was to say.

--
Daniel Nilsson