POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : my speed results & a note about splines : Re: my speed results & a note about splines Server Time
31 Jul 2024 14:35:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: my speed results & a note about splines
From: Jim Charter
Date: 12 Jan 2007 15:15:34
Message: <45a7ec66@news.povray.org>
Charles C wrote:

> Note: There seems to be something in both 3.6 & 3.7 beta which kicks in an
> error "Parse Error: Identifier expected, incomplete function call or spline
> call found instead."  The line in question may look something like #local
> Spline_A = Array_of_Splines[Ctr]; or be a line calling a macro using a
> spline identifier as one of the parameters.  It will work many times over
> in a loop, but may fail at some repeatable time during the overall parsing.
> Repeatable IF it's on the same machine.  Adding something like #local
> dummy_var = 97981316123; either inside or outside the loop seems to affect
> whether the render will get through parsing.  I'm always happy to see the
> Render Cleanup Warning about the experimental status of splines because
> that means it's made it through.

Yes. That is the error that drove me crazy with my spider web images.
And I was also using both the techniques you mention, passing a spline
to a macro, and storing spline definitions as arrays.  And as you say,
the stoppage would appear capriciously, though always at the same place
until I changed something about the code, adding a #debug for instance,
or changing the seed value for the random number generation.
Furthermore, since I was trying to make different variations of webs I
was running the scene file from an ini file repeatedly by using the
animation feature so as to begin with a different random seed each time
(based on the clock value). The scene would parse fine through many
repetitions before finally failing.  I was not able to produce the error
in isolation by using just the macro call or the array storage.
Further, my current version uses both these techniques in combination
and I have run it through several hundred iterations with a stoppage.
But if I add further complexity, a second set of splines stored as an
array, for instance, then the error recurs.

I suspect it is something about the splines-stored-as-arrays that is the
problem because of the fact that adding random lines of script will
sometimes "solve" it or cause the stoppage to happen in a different
place.  I also had this problem when I was doing my POVCOMP entry.  My
solution then, if I remember correctly, was to write the multiple spline
definitions to include files then call them in dynamically.

I use MegaPov 1.1 which is based on POV-Ray 3.6.1