POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray Object Collection - Next : Re: POV-Ray Object Collection - Next Server Time
31 Jul 2024 14:33:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray Object Collection - Next
From: Olaf Doschke
Date: 7 Jan 2007 06:33:08
Message: <45a0da74$1@news.povray.org>
> You can help:
> 1. One or two people with DHTML/Javascript, PHP and/or SQL experience and
> spare time over the next few weeks are needed to help with setup.
I think I have sufficient knowledge to setup such an object
repository, but unfortunately my free time finishes today.

Some recommendations: When thinking bout DHTML/Javascript
nowadays AJAX comes to mind, and Prototype is the nicest on,
that was also recommended to me so far, especially with PHP:
http://prototype.conio.net/

Furthermore, Scriptaculous, which is based on that prototype
framework provides some nice Ajax features: http://script.aculo.us/

I'd bet the povray website already is data based, so one could also
stay with the technologies used there now.

> 2. One or more people will be needed to oversee the various parts of the
> collection once it's up and running.

I'd say besides some people having some administrative rights, that
could also be done in a community effort. Especially the correct
indexing of objects is a matter of taste. Instead of classical categorizations,
which never really work nice, I'd plead for the more and more used
tagging of the objects, which means labelling objects with many
keywords, on which it can be found. Take a look at http://.last.fm,
which uses this kind of tagging for music.

Bye, Olaf.