POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Is it possible passing parameters from other programs? : Re: Is it possible passing parameters from other programs? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 14:35:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Is it possible passing parameters from other programs?
From: Darren New
Date: 6 Jan 2007 19:04:51
Message: <45a03923$1@news.povray.org>
Chris Cason wrote:
> Darren New wrote:
>> But this still has to do all the render calculations, shadow
>> calculations, etc, yes?  So it won't really speed up an animation that
>> has many light sources but nothing moving other than the camera?
>
> It will, because the scene doesn't need to be re-parsed each time, nor dor
> that matter does the rendering engine need to start up or shut down for each
> frame (it remains running). For a slow animation this wouldn't matter, but
> for a fast render it can mean the difference between 5 fps and 50 fps.

So, to rephrase my question a bit, if it's a 10-second parse and an hour
render, you won't save noticable time for an animation done with this
new option, yes?  That's my situation at the moment, due to excessive
numbers of light sources.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     Scruffitarianism - Where T-shirt, jeans,