POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Is it possible passing parameters from other programs? : Re: Is it possible passing parameters from other programs? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 14:35:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Is it possible passing parameters from other programs?
From: Tim Attwood
Date: 5 Jan 2007 01:11:58
Message: <459dec2e$1@news.povray.org>
> I need an information about Pov-Ray.
>
> I wish to made an animation in Pov-Ray and modifing some parameters in
> real-time passing some value from another application. Is it possible? How
> could communicate the two programs?

In general POV takes 1 or more files as input and outputs an
image to a file. On most systems this would be too slow to run in
real time.

> For example: I want to create a ball that roll left to right when I pass
> value 1 and that roll right to left wen I pass 0. (The value comes from an
> application that allow network comunication).
>
> Do you have some ideas?

Pre-render all the frames, load them into memory, then "flip" through the
frames based on if the ball should be rolling left or right.

> Beta version allow te real-time mode. The problem is: can Pov-Ray
> communicate with other programs? In which way?

In Beta 17 there is a real time feature in testing, however this
is for rendering multiple views of the same scene, without re-parsing,
no objects can be moved, just the camera view. The camera is set by
defining multiple cameras in a scene, the output is passed as a message
instead of writing a file.

Beta versions of POV will expire, so don't put too much time into it,
it probably will become more stable and useful before it reaches
actual release, which may or may not be in 3.7

I'm sure others could tell you more about the Beta features...