POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : webs [218 kb] : Re: webs [218 kb] Server Time
3 May 2024 08:31:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: webs [218 kb]
From: Jim Charter
Date: 1 Jan 2007 14:04:31
Message: <45995b3f$1@news.povray.org>
Mark Birch wrote:
> Look excellent!
>
> How well does it show up against a background?

Will be part of a subsequent "state".  Right now most of the web is
straight cylinders except for the perimeter strands which are cylinders
laid along splines.  Well I hoped to base all the strands on splines
because in the real world, where backgrounds exist, webs are often
drooping from dew or whatever.  And I do have a version where all the
strands of webbing *are* based on splines.  But that version stops
inexplicably and capriciously.  In fact I've spent over a week trying to
isolate the bug but cannot.  So I went the simpler, less general, route
in order to move the project along.  But yes I do want to play with
backgrounds, lighting, texturing a bit, recreate those early morning sun
on spiderweb dew type shots that photographers so love, and see if that
goes anywhere.  There are a few different directions I want to try.
Also different types of spiders produce slightly different web patterns
which might be interesting coding problems.  Much of the difference
seems to involve how each handle the perimeter.  The problem I was
trying to solve in these examples is the case where the spiral starts
out pretty round, reflecting the outside perimeter shape only slightly,
but then increasingly comes to conform to the outside shape of the
perimeter, though never completely.

http://www.conservation.unibas.ch/team/zschokke/spidergallery.html

> Also, see if you can get it to write "Good Pig" in there...

Hee hee.  E B White got there ahead of me!  Well for me it will just be
hard enough to introduce vagaries into the pattern which then becomes
smoothed out again as the spiral progresses.  But you never know!