POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Compiling with optimizations? : Re: Compiling with optimizations? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 14:26:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Compiling with optimizations?
From: Stefan Viljoen
Date: 28 Dec 2006 01:58:18
Message: <45936b09@news.povray.org>
Stefan Viljoen wrote:

> Not as far as I know. Povray doesn't use any accelerated graphics
> hardware. It lives in the FPU. Mostly optimisations using GCC should not
> (mostly) affected floating point operations. You can just as happily run
> POV on a system with an ISA CGA card or on a system with SLIed Nvidia 8800
> GTX PCI Express accelerated cards with 1GB of video RAM each, you'll see
> no difference in rendering speed...

... but you can of course split the scene and distribute them to a cluster,
if you have one available. (PVMPov)

This can give incredible improvements in overall rendering speed.

See

http://local.wasp.uwa.edu.au/~pbourke/modelling_rendering/renderexamples/

for a scene I designed that took WEEKS to render three or four lines, but
was rendered by Paul Bourke in a few hours on a DEC Alpha cluster.

--
Stefan