POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : wallstucco.pov : crackle problem : Re: wallstucco.pov : crackle problem Server Time
4 May 2024 10:10:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: wallstucco.pov : crackle problem
From: Alain
Date: 23 Dec 2006 11:36:27
Message: <458d5b0b@news.povray.org>
jva nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 23-12-2006 06:15:
> When rendering the wallstucco scene the renderer never proceeds beyond
> parsing & bounding (beta 18, sse2, on a dual core system). The renderer
> just continues using up processortime (according to task manager) and the
> rendertime in the statusbar keeps increasing. The STOP button doesn't work
> anymore but for the rest the program responds normally to user interaction.
> Closing the program works, but gives - after a while - a Visual C++ runtime
> error "application requested runtime to terminate in an unusual way", after
> which processor time consumption stops.
>
> After some detectivework the problem appears to originate from the
> pigment_map in the Wall declaration, and more precisely due to the crackle
> pattern used.
>
> The following minimal scene gives a similar problem:
>
> camera { location 5*y look_at 0 }
>
> light_source { <10,10,0> color rgb 1 }
>
> sphere {
>   0, 1
>   pigment {
>    crackle
>     colour_map {
>       [0 color rgb 1]
>       [0.5 color rgb x]
>     }
>   }
> }
>
> Only now the render produces a complete image on screen which is not saved,
> but the render time keeps on increasing forever and processortime keeps
> being used without change. Stopping behaviour as above. When any other
> pattern is used instead of crackle the scene renders as expected.
>
> Jeroen.

Hit me with the cells pattern in the foloowing scene from the short code contest:
//Title: Pure Fun 225 bytes
#macro C(c,d) //pigment and  color map  macro
  crackle color_map{[0 rgb.3*c][.5 rgb 1-d]}
#end

plane{z,4
  pigment{cells
    pigment_map{[0 C(z,x)][.3 C(y,x)][.8 C(x,y)][1 C(y,z)]}
    turbulence<15,50,20>// very big turbulence
    scale 4
    warp{repeat-x flip x}}// acts as a mirrow
  finish{ambient 1}//chang ambient to -1 to see whats reflected
  translate<9,7,0>} //moves the whole plane to
                    //adjust whats refelected
                    //the z value has to be >-4

--
Alain