POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Mesh Q's about Rendering & Scale : Re: Mesh Q's about Rendering & Scale Server Time
31 Jul 2024 14:22:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mesh Q's about Rendering & Scale
From: Bryan Heit
Date: 21 Dec 2006 09:27:40
Message: <458a99dc$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> Bryan Heit <bjh### [at] nospamucalgaryca> wrote:
>> 1) In terms of rendering time, would it be quicker to use the mesh, or
>> to convert the mesh into a 16-bit height_field, like what is done in the
>> height_field tutorial of the documentation?
>
>   A height_field should render faster than a mesh, but take into account
> that height_field uses a different normal smoothing algorithm than meshes,
> so it may end up looking different at places.
>
>   Try both to see what happens.

It looks like there is a break-even point.  If my height_field is over
~1800x1800 in size it becomes marginally slower then the mesh (actually
a mesh2, as FlyerX pointed out).  Even though I want a very large
height_field (probably 2800x2800), I'm still going to use the
height_field I can subdivide the height_field into separate files, and
selectively include the appropriate files as they come into field within
the animation.

Thanx for your help.

Bryan