POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Mesh Q's about Rendering & Scale : Mesh Q's about Rendering & Scale Server Time
31 Jul 2024 14:31:57 EDT (-0400)
  Mesh Q's about Rendering & Scale
From: Bryan Heit
Date: 20 Dec 2006 11:12:45
Message: <458960fd$1@news.povray.org>
I created a mesh in blender which I am importing (by saving as a 3ds,
then converting in poseray), to use as a "heightfield".  My plans are to
use this in an animation, and I need this mesh at a pretty high level of
detail as the scene is quite large and I'm doing I "fly-through" type
animation.  I have 3 Q's about using this mesh.

1) In terms of rendering time, would it be quicker to use the mesh, or
to convert the mesh into a 16-bit height_field, like what is done in the
height_field tutorial of the documentation?

2) If rendering the mesh is faster, how do I determine the size of the
mesh?  I know it's not coming in as a 1x1x1 sized object, like the
height_field would be.  In my test run, centering required that I
translate it by <0.05,0.1375,0.34>, and even that is my best guess.

3) According to the documentation, a Mesh2 object is better (and faster)
for povray.  If their any convenient way to convert my mesh into a mesh2?

Thanx for your help

Bryan