POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : large black dots in glass objects : Re: large black dots in glass objects Server Time
31 Jul 2024 16:29:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: large black dots in glass objects
From: Alain
Date: 18 Dec 2006 20:01:13
Message: <458739d9$1@news.povray.org>
Grassblade nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 18-12-2006 17:34:
> "Dennis Clarke" <dcl### [at] blastwaveorg> wrote:
>> I have been trying to get rid of large black dots in some glass objects.

>> I have the following in my global settings :

>> global_settings {
>>   assumed_gamma 1
>>   max_trace_level 32
>>   max_intersections 128
>> ..
>> ..
>> ..

>> an example of what I mean may be seen here :

>>     http://www.blastwave.org/dclarke/povray_AMD64/media1_001.png

>> any ideas ?

>> Dennis

> Hmm, yes, I've got the same, only worse:
> http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b288/aardpast/Real%20pics/RingsMaxTrace20.png
> I've tried cranking up Max Trace level to 50, but the result doesn't change
> much, in fact it's slightly worse in places. I even tried a Max_trace_level
> of 250, which is just as bad.
> I have two spotlights that are inside the ruby, if I move them outside the
> ruby, the black spots disappear. No amount of looks_like or union of the
> light and the ruby changes anything. An adc_bailout of 0 with max trace of
> level 200 doesn't seem to ever get to the ruby. And adc_bailout of 1/200048
> with Max trace of 50, is a *lot* worse, with black dots peppering the ruby.
> It looks like the only thing that works is to make sure your lights aren't
> contained in any solid objects. Reducing media might possibly work too.

adc_bailout 0 turn it completely off as any change is larger than 0.
A value of 1/200048 is ridicously small, still to small if outputing as 48 bit
PNG or TGA. In this case, the floor value is 1/65536, as it's the smalest
difference you can find.
Instead of making adc_bailout smaller, try to make it LARGER! Try adc_bailout
1/128 or 0.01 to start.
This works best when coupled with some contained media or some fade_color.

--
Alain
Don't cry because it is over, smile because it happened.