POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Render grinds to a halt : Re: Render grinds to a halt Server Time
19 May 2024 09:03:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Render grinds to a halt
From: Tek
Date: 18 Dec 2006 08:19:36
Message: <45869568$1@news.povray.org>
I've noticed a similar slowdown when rendering animations without an ini
file, though it wasn't as severe as that, it only got slower by a small
percentage each frame. In my case it seems to be something to do with pov's
message window. I found a trick that if I press Alt once (in the windows
version of pov) povray stops updating the message window and animations
render faster, though this only has a big effect on animations with very
short render times, like 5 seconds per frame. I dunno if that's the cause of
the problems or just a similar aspect, but I've definitely had animations
that render slower after 100 frames than if I start them on the 100th frame.

It's worth mentioning I haven't noticed this with the latest versions of
povray  (though it's still faster with the Alt trick), but I haven't been
rendering many animations. Back when I originally noticed the problem I
satisfied myself it was also affecting still images, i.e. the bottom of an
image would render slower than the top. But in my experience it's only a
small percentage slower so I never got to the bottom of the mystery.

--
Tek
http://evilsuperbrain.com