POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : SCC$ results announcement : Re: SCC$ results announcement Server Time
31 Jul 2024 16:28:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: SCC$ results announcement
From: Olaf Doschke
Date: 15 Dec 2006 05:56:08
Message: <45827f48$1@news.povray.org>
> Congratulations to the winners! In particular Tekno who took out three of
> the top five places!

Congrats from me too.

Especially as one was tempted to look-no-further,
after seeing Juha Nieminen's Glass sculpture as the
first entry.

I also voted for the Dawn over the mountains,
maybe just missing a little lens flare effect to add
another detail (which rather makes it less perfect,
but would look nice I think).

In the glass sculpture I'd given it place one, if
there weren't so many of those 1-2 pixel small
specular highlights. I wonder if that could be
adjusted by setting collect off for photons within
the glass spheres. The area light is surely adding
to that big number of highlights, as it unfortunately
is made up of many pointlight sources. Surely
the area light has it's advantages, eg code shortness,
soft shadows and caustics. That may be better
adjusted by making several pointlight sources with
differing photon settings, at least try the area_light
option of the photon block of the light source.

Bye, Olaf.