POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Round_Cylinder not working on Linux, but does on Windows. : Re: Round_Cylinder not working on Linux, but does on Windows. Server Time
31 Jul 2024 16:29:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Round_Cylinder not working on Linux, but does on Windows.
From: Chris B
Date: 14 Dec 2006 14:16:04
Message: <4581a2f4$1@news.povray.org>
"space_cadet" <poc### [at] grcnasagov> wrote in message
> oops, my bad. In my frustration, I got a bit careless in my checking.
> Using
> a regular cylinder{} object DOES in fact work and is totally usable for my
> project.  And I have NOT in fact used Round_Cylinder elsewhere in the code
> successfully on linux (its another regular cylinder that I was thinking
> of).
>
> So the original problem stands, that Round_Cylinder and Round_Cylinder
> ONLY
> is rendering fine in my file on windows, but the same file renders
> everying
> BUT the round_cylinder on linux with no errors reported in verbose.
>
> Since I can use cylinder and I need to move on, I'm putting this behind
> me,
> and may revisit later. It is a stupifying situation and I'd like to get to
> the bottom of it.
>
> Thanks for any time and attention.

If a cylinder of the same size displays correctly, then you should be able
to identify the cause of the problem by substituting the object definitions
that will be generated by the macro directly into your SDL. Then you can
comment out lines of code back until you're just left with the outer
cylinder definition and work out which piece of the merge is causing your
distress.

If I've done my arithmetic right then you should be able to replace:

Round_Cylinder(<0,0,0>, <1,0,0>, .005, .005, 1)

with:

merge {
   cylinder {<0,0,0>, <1,0,0>, 0}
   cylinder {<0.005,0,0>, <0.995,0,0>, .005}
   torus {0, .005 translate y*.005}
   torus {0, .005 translate y*.995}
}

and get the same result.
Notice that your parameter settings result in a cylinder of 0 radius and two
spheres where the major radius of the torus is 0.

If you get down to just
   cylinder {<0.005,0,0>, <0.995,0,0>, .005}
and it still doesn't show, then adjust the settings till it matches
precisely the cylinder you have that does show.

Hope this helps,
Regards,
Chris B.