POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Averaged Normal_maps : Re: Averaged Normal_maps Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:27:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Averaged Normal_maps
From: Chris B
Date: 13 Dec 2006 04:48:56
Message: <457fcc88$1@news.povray.org>
"Kirk Andrews" <kir### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message

> I'm trying to have a texture that has large facets, but with smaller
> facets
> between.  So I averaged a large facet normal and small facet normal, but
> in
> the result the facets are so faint you can hardly see either of them.

I don't know if it would be of any use in your circumstances, but I've found
that for flat surfaces it can be effective to scale the normal in a
direction at right angles to the surface. I've included a simple but extreme
example below.

camera {location <0,1,-1>}
light_source { <1, 20, -20> color rgb 1}

plane {y,0 rotate  z*0.001
  texture {
    pigment {color rgb 1}
    normal {granite}