POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : glass on black : Re: glass on black Server Time
31 Jul 2024 16:28:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: glass on black
From: John VanSickle
Date: 11 Dec 2006 16:39:14
Message: <457dd002@news.povray.org>
dave vanhorn wrote:
> Ok, on to my next issue..
>
> I have my shapes now, in glass, and I'm looking to have them on a completely
> black background.  Of course they barely show up.
>
> I remember dimly a trick to give them more reflectance, like in the real
> world where they are always surrounded by things to reflect.. But I don't
> remember what it was.

You can give their finish a low specular value.  You can also give their
pigment a transmit value that is just slightly below 1 (like .9999).

For realism, the finish statement will also have a degree of reflection;
you can then put a textured plane behind the camera to give the glass
something to reflect.  (This also solves the problem of chrome objects
against a black backround).

Hope this helps,
John