POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Setting the aspect ratio : Re: Setting the aspect ratio Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:25:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Setting the aspect ratio
From: Alain
Date: 8 Dec 2006 16:31:04
Message: <4579d998$1@news.povray.org>
Ansgar nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 08/12/2006 16:07:
> My problem is that my rendering outputs are distorted when I don't choose a
> 4:3 resolution like 800x600.
> Now I know from the online help and from articles here that something like
> this is supposed to work:
> right x*(aspect ratio)

> Unfortunately, it doesn't. In fact, that line doesn't have any effect at
> all. May I be using another keyword that negates the effect or something?

> May it have something to do with the fact that I'm working with a scene (and
> a camera) which was converted over from a 3ds file with 3DWin5?

> Here's my camera definition:

> #declare P_cam = camera
> {
>   sky <0, 0, 1>                       // doesn't seem to have any effect
The default is <0,1,0>
>   up <0, 1, 0>                        // same
This and the previous are used to tilt the camera.
>   right <1, 0, 0>
Should be perpendicular to the "up" vector. Non-perpendicular leads to skewed image.
Those 3 should apears AFTER location, look_at and direction
                      // same. If I use 1 or 1.33 or 2 or
>                                       // anything, always the same result
>   location <22.695, -65.187, 31.461>
This should be the first camera item.
>   look_at <-4.677, -4.445, 10.517>
>   angle 45                            // I've read this can override "right"
>                                       // settings, but I see no difference
>                                       // if I leave it out
Not the "right" vector but the "direction" vector.
> }

> Thanks in advance.

Try this instead:
camera{location<22.695, -65.187, 31.461>
	direction z //not needed, default value
// this can be used instead of angle to change the field of view.
	look_at<-4.677, -4.445, 10.517>
	right x*1
	angle 45
	}

--
Alain
If you have one lawyer in town, he goes hungry.