POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Warn About Naming Conflicts? : Re: Warn About Naming Conflicts? Server Time
1 Aug 2024 00:16:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Warn About Naming Conflicts?
From: Warp
Date: 7 Dec 2006 13:10:16
Message: <45785907@news.povray.org>
> I knew this, but I never realized one of the implications before: If
> you're working on writing macro code, and you start a render, you may
> break the render by editing the file the macro is in before the render
> is done, yes?

  Only during parsing.

> (Of course, on decent operating systems, and even Windows, reading the
> same file a bunch of times in a row isn't all that much overhead,
> compared to reading it the first time.)

  Even in decent OSes it is a lot of overhead compared to eg. having
the macro in memory. Or even in the same file.

  You can test this in practice: Make a loop which calls a macro which
is located in another file and measure how long it takes. Then move the
macro to the current file (where the loop is) and measure again. You will
probably get a significant increase in speed.

--
                                                          - Warp