POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Warn About Naming Conflicts? : Re: Warn About Naming Conflicts? Server Time
1 Aug 2024 00:17:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Warn About Naming Conflicts?
From: Warp
Date: 7 Dec 2006 12:11:29
Message: <45784b41@news.povray.org>
Ben Chambers <ben### [at] pacificwebguycom> wrote:
> Has it been decided that SDL will get a complete overhaul, then?  And
> what about backwards compatibility - is POV-Ray finally giving up on it?

  As far as I know, nothing specific has been discussed yet. However, it has
been long been a simple fact that the current SDL is a bunch of kludges over
older kludges and it just doesn't scale. Adding more and more new features
to the current SDL just makes it worse, not better.

  A "new SDL" doesn't necessarily mean a new scripting language which will
look completely different from the current SDL, although I'm sure that
whatever will be developed, there will be some differences, but only for
the better.

  The user-defined functions in POV-Ray (which form their own syntax space,
separate from the SDL, and which are about 100 times more efficient than
#macros because they are byte-compiled) is a step towards the ultimate goal.

--
                                                          - Warp