POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Warn About Naming Conflicts? : Re: Warn About Naming Conflicts? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 22:19:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Warn About Naming Conflicts?
From: Warp
Date: 7 Dec 2006 05:47:14
Message: <4577f132@news.povray.org>
Alain <ele### [at] netscapenet> wrote:
> What HORRIBLE piece of code! Do that then wonder why your scene takes so much
> time to parse and why it gobbles up your memory. Beter to use a real macro.

  Rather ironically, if such #macro is in an include file, it won't be
much faster than the given code (which explicitly #includes the file in
each loop).
  This is because, if the #macro is indeed in an included file, POV-Ray will
open that file, seek to the macro, parse it and close the file, and this each
time the macro is called. Thus the overhead is about as bad as an explicit
#include call.

  I'm not saying this is a good thing, I'm just stating a fact.
  (This, among other things, is a direct consequence of the history of
the SDL, which is just one kludge over another over the years, and a big
reason why pov4 is intended to be written from the scratch and with a
much better SDL.)

--
                                                          - Warp