POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray Includes - Licensing : Re: POV-Ray Includes - Licensing Server Time
7 Sep 2024 07:47:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray Includes - Licensing
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 7 Dec 2006 02:26:30
Message: <4577c226$1@news.povray.org>

Subject: Re: POV-Ray Includes - Licensing
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 14:40:19 +0100
From: Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>
Newsgroups: povray.general

For all discussed licenses (both software licenses and CC) this depends
on if the image can be regarded as derived works on the include files.
And as illustrated there are definitely cases where this is the case and
there are definitely cases where this isn't.

Concerning LGPL - you should keep in mind that this would allow anyone
to integrate the covered include files into different 3D packages (by
translating into a different language) and distribute them as a closed
product.  This will be difficult in some cases (for example when
POV-Ray's procedural patterns are used) but will be fairly straight away
  for example for a tree generator.  I don't regard this possibility as
bad per se but everyone considering using such a license should keep
that in mind.  Trying to avoid this would suggest using the CC-'share
alike' licenses.  In some cases this will of course impose significant
unintended restrictions to the images using the file (see above).

-- Christoph