POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray Includes - Licensing : Re: POV-Ray Includes - Licensing Server Time
1 Aug 2024 00:18:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray Includes - Licensing
From: Chris B
Date: 6 Dec 2006 10:24:06
Message: <4576e096$1@news.povray.org>
"nemesis" <nam### [at] gmailcom> wrote in message
> "Chris B" <c_b### [at] btconnectcomnospam> wrote:
>> The License
>> ------------
>> It seems that we will probably
>> need separate provisions for licensing the source and for licensing the
>> resulting generated images.
>
> hmm?  Why is generated image licensing a concern?

Well. I may be wrong about this, but I thought that an image generated from
a 3D model was a derivation of the artistic work contained within the 3D
model. So my thinking was that if we don't explicitly grant permission to
use and modify the images that people wouldn't be licensed to do so.

> Now, since we're talking about include files, not final scenes, i'm not
> sure
> why the concern of licensing of generated images from the sources:  aren't
> we contributing stuff to the collection precisely for them to be used
> abroad?  Limiting them in this way doesn't seem helpful.

I agree that the intention is not to limit the use of images and that's what
I was trying to say.
My concern was that if we simply don't mention them in our licensing
statement that their use may be implicitly limited.
Does anyone have a definitive answer on this question?

Regards,
Chris B.