POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : 4 tips to improve a simple POV-Ray scene : Re: 4 tips to improve a simple POV-Ray scene Server Time
31 Jul 2024 22:08:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 4 tips to improve a simple POV-Ray scene
From: Warp
Date: 5 Dec 2006 22:49:12
Message: <45763db8@news.povray.org>
Dan Farmer <dmf### [at] msncom> wrote:
> I will add my praise to all of the others.  Very well written, simple tricks
> for enhancing the image

  Thanks. Getting praise from a celebrity is very flattering.

> (great job on the wooden floor texture, BTW)

  That type of wood texture is actually one of my best developed "tricks"
with POV-Ray's procedural textures I have developed over the years. The
idea is quite simple, yet effective:

- Create a wood-patterned pigment with at least 2 colors (as seen in the
  image, 2 colors is actually often enough, even though using a more
  elaborated color map can increase the visual quality of the texture).
- Apply some turbulence to it.
- Scale it unevenly so that it's very stretched on one direction.

  All the above are actually not my ideas. They have been blatantly copied
from the wood textures included with POV-Ray itself. However, the following
is more original (I'm probably not the *first* person to invent it, but it's
something I didn't see anywhere but developed myself):

- Crate a wood-patterned normal and smooth it out with a slope map.
- Apply the same turbulence and transformations as the pigment so that the
  normal matches perfectly the pigment.
- If you want to create wooden planks, average the above normal definition
  with a gradient-patterned normal which uses a proper slope map.

  Add a nice finish, and that's it: A stunning wooden texture. Simple but
effective.

--
                                                          - Warp