POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : 4 tips to improve a simple POV-Ray scene : Re: 4 tips to improve a simple POV-Ray scene Server Time
31 Jul 2024 16:32:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 4 tips to improve a simple POV-Ray scene
From: Olaf Doschke
Date: 5 Dec 2006 06:29:40
Message: <45755824$1@news.povray.org>
Hi Warp,

very nice and understandable.

I like the idea of the backlight. And making it
green makes it look as if there is a window where
you would see the woods and so green light
causes the radiosity like effect in a much simpler
way.

As these are 4 independant enhancements, addi-
tional to the path of applying all 4 enhancements
one after another, I'd like to see any of the 16
result images one would get, when applying an
combination  of those 4 tips.

That would be cool to determine which effects
one wants for an own scene.

At least you could show the same path of enhance-
ments with the simple shiny monocolored floor, as
you say it's a matter of taste what to use here.

I have some additional: If objects look far to streched
or skewed you might be too close with the (pinhole)
camera. Choosing a more realisitic camera model or
just putting the camera farer and shortening the left and
right vectors can also make the image look more
realistic.

Changing the position or angles of objects slightly
might  also lead to a better scenery. When rendering a
series of  pictures (eg by using the clock), you might
find the ideal angle for a certain highlight, reflection,
refraction or even photon mapping.

It's good to do this with a simpler setup, perhaps just
after having applied the finish to the objects, as this of
course takes it's time. Don't take too little steps,
start with a rough change of angles, then take the
best result and modify it's angles in smaller steps.
That helps finding the right angle without too much
renderings.

Bye, Olaf.