POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Endogenic height field : Re: Endogenic height field Server Time
31 Jul 2024 16:22:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Endogenic height field
From: Vincent Le Chevalier
Date: 4 Dec 2006 09:20:08
Message: <45742e98$1@news.povray.org>

> Nicolas George <nicolas$george@salle-s.org> wrote:
>> I believe there is a problem in the documentation about this
>> feature.
>
> That may indeed be true. The function feature is a quite new addition
>  and the documentation is not always up-to-date.

In the "Quick Reference" I think it's well described (from
http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.1/528/)

[...]
HEIGHT_FIELD:
     height_field { HF_IMAGE [HF_MODIFIERS] }
HF_IMAGE:
     FUNCTION_IMAGE | [HF_TYPE] FILE_NAME
HF_TYPE:
     gif | tga | pot | png | pgm | ppm | jpeg | tiff | sys
[...]

So indeed the filename is optional with a function image. Maybe the
Quick Reference gets updated more often...

The function image is in fact not described under heightfield but rather
under Textures->Patterns here
http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.1/379/

I know it was in there because I used it once and I would never have
figure it out without the docs ;-)

Regards

--
Vincent