POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray Includes - Licensing : Re: POV-Ray Includes - Licensing Server Time
1 Aug 2024 00:19:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray Includes - Licensing
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 1 Dec 2006 02:24:16
Message: <456fd8a0$1@news.povray.org>
Chris Cason schrieb:
> You have a good point.
>
> My position is that it is simply not reasonable for anyone who uses an
> 'official' include file to have to credit the author(s) of the include. I'd
> categorize an 'official' include file as anything that is provided with
> POV-Ray for the purpose (or officially endorsed as such).
>
> Previously I have mentioned the possibility of having two repositories; the
> 'standard' one, and the 'ad-hoc' one (or some similar description). From my
> point of view, for an include to become part of the 'standard' repository,
> the use of the include must be free of restrictions, in much the same way as
> the current official includes are.

I think that is a good idea but note there aren't any regulations for
the official include files concerning distribution of modified versions
(except of course the regulations for distributing unofficial modified
versions of the whole package).  Any separately distributed file should
have clear terms for this.

-- Christoph