POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Acceptable grade for a walkway? : Re: Acceptable grade for a walkway? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 16:30:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Acceptable grade for a walkway?
From: Alain
Date: 30 Nov 2006 22:15:45
Message: <456f9e61$1@news.povray.org>
Ben Chambers nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 30/11/2006 18:07:
> In a scene I'm working on, I have a walkway which is calculated via trig
> to reach a certain point.  However, I'm concerned that it appears too
> steep for people to walk on.

> Currently, it drops approximate 1 foot for every 3 feet forward.  While
> not an exhausting slope (I've climbed much worse), I'm thinking of
> splitting it into sections of shallower slopes, interspersed with
> sections of stairs.  (Of course, for usability, I'm going to add
> escalators etc, but that's a different aspect of this).

> What would be a good slope, bearing in mind that this is a rather long
> walkway (almost 3000', or about 920m)?  Is the current drop of 1 foot
> for every 3 forward acceptable, or should I lower it to 1 foot for every
> 5 or even 10 forward?

> ...Chambers
Your slope is 33% witch is prety steep. Usualy, you try to keep it at less than
15% or 15 unit per 100 or 3 unit per 20. In real life, you can have even steeper
slopes, but then, those who make those also make alternative, winding paths, or
make stairs.

--
Alain
   A hooker once told me she had a headache.