POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Acceptable grade for a walkway? : Acceptable grade for a walkway? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 16:20:54 EDT (-0400)
  Acceptable grade for a walkway?
From: Ben Chambers
Date: 30 Nov 2006 18:07:18
Message: <456f6426@news.povray.org>
In a scene I'm working on, I have a walkway which is calculated via trig
to reach a certain point.  However, I'm concerned that it appears too
steep for people to walk on.

Currently, it drops approximate 1 foot for every 3 feet forward.  While
not an exhausting slope (I've climbed much worse), I'm thinking of
splitting it into sections of shallower slopes, interspersed with
sections of stairs.  (Of course, for usability, I'm going to add
escalators etc, but that's a different aspect of this).

What would be a good slope, bearing in mind that this is a rather long
walkway (almost 3000', or about 920m)?  Is the current drop of 1 foot
for every 3 forward acceptable, or should I lower it to 1 foot for every
5 or even 10 forward?

...Chambers