POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray Includes - Licensing : Re: POV-Ray Includes - Licensing Server Time
1 Aug 2024 00:21:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray Includes - Licensing
From: Verm
Date: 30 Nov 2006 14:49:48
Message: <456f35dc@news.povray.org>
Charles C wrote:
> Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde> wrote:
>> The central question this all leads to is if a rendered image is a
>> derived work of the scene (and all include files) it is generated from.
>>     I think (but IANAL) that for this it would be necessary that some
>> aspect of the scene/include files that is subject to copyright (usually
>> this requires a minimum level of originality and individuality) to be
>> still present in the rendered image.  How exactly this is defined
>> differs between Copyright laws - see
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Threshold_of_originality
>
> I hope this isn't too off topic... But speaking about copyright law, there's
> another angle which'll affect this library and it's licensing, and that's
> whether a contributer has the right to distribute models which are derived
> from real-world objects which in turn may or may not have applicable
> copyrights.  E.g. furniture, cars, buildings, houses, just about anything
> real that's man-made in the last century or whatever.   Can somebody please
> tell me it's ok to make a 3d model of a real table and then share it? :-)

Yes, as long as you don't copy/model any trademarks, you can model what
you like - for example it isn't ok to copy a car and it's badge. (I'm
fairly sure think it's ok to copy the car though )

It should be ok to model a boat as it seems ok to take a physical
moulding of a boat and use this to reproduce and sell replicas.
(Bonito Boats, Inc. v. Thunder Craft Boats, Inc. 489 U.S. 141 (1989))
Ok I admit it I got this via slashdot.org's thing about possible Patent
law reform :-)